View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 05:24 PM
petthefabric

The largest portion of my stash is on open book cases. The windows are UV protected and face north. The shelves are filled with 1/4 - 1yd pieces, folded into a size no larger than 5 x 9". The 5" side is on the "book spine" side of the shelf and has a fold to easily see the fabric. There are 5 stacks on each shelf. They are divided into sections: solids, looks like hand dye, christmas, multicolor, oriental, black & white, flesh tone, stripes, browns, greys, silk, 30's, and the rainbow (red, orange, yellow, green blue, purple). When a type of fabric will make 2 stacks, it gets seperated out. Projects in progress are in "ArtBin" totes, so there's fabric in them too. And "thinking about it" is stacked anywhere there's a flat surface. As you can see, my system is morphic- it changes with what I'm working on. UFO's: probably 40+ are hung in the closet, in ArtBin totes, in drawers, on the design wall; I give myself permission to put something aside that has me stumped or there's a deadline for something else. It's not a job, it's a passion. Large pieces are stored in the hall closets. As my style of quilting has changed and become more defined, my stash has changed.