View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 09:25 PM
linda faye

I agree with others about (1) take a beginner's class; (2) put unfinished quilt tops (UFOs) with like material for future completion; (3) become an every day visitor to this Board with your questions and updates (put your topic in Search and the answer may already be posted).

(4) May I add a hint for washing of the fabric?
Sometimes fabric will 'bleed' onto other fabric. Color Catcher is a product that can be put in the washer to cath the dye that bleed from the fabric. Use the Search function of this board and learn about colors that bleed and what to do. I am sure you know to wash like colors together. Washing quilting fabric is worth a few minutes of researching the 'how to' and prevent disasters.

Sometimes the cuts of fabric will become tangled and frayed.
I will take my fabric and put the selvege on a flat surface with selvege to my left, the other selvege side will be to my right. Fold entire fabric cut in half....the cut edges will be at the top of the fabric. At this point, fan fold the double thickness of fabric being sure the cut edge is inside the folded cut of fabric. When this is folded use large quilters safety pins and pin through all thickness of the folded fabric at each end (left end and right end). Pins should be placed about every two inches . I place mine through fabric and over the end of the selvege. Note: be sure that all thickness of fabric are pinned. You will have a long strip of folded fabric which will probably be the width of the fabric.

These can also be put in the dryer with the pins in tact. I usually take mine from washer, take the pins out and hang using hangers that have clips (i.e. pant hangers). Normally I only have a couple of yards of one kind of fabric.

Good luck with learning a new craft and with washing your mountain of fabric.