Old 01-25-2013, 06:15 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by hpylady View Post
Outstanding! Did you do this free handed?
The term "free hand" is somewhat subjective (based on a person's opinion). When I use the term freehand I think in terms of a "freehand" drawing. Only instead of pencil on blank paper, I am using needle and thread. So when going by MY definition of freehand, no, this is not all freehand. It is however all hand guided, no computer. I premarked the basic outline for my leaves and vine placement. However, going back to my usage of the term freehand I did draw them freehand. I did not use a template, stencil or tracing of any sort to guide my marked lines for the leaves and vines.

I used my 6 1/2" x 24" ruler to mark my cross hatch grid marks so my lines would stay straight. If you go to the sneak peek link I posted you can see the marked quilt during the quilting process. When I quilted, I used my premarked lines for guidance. I used a ruler for the straight lines. All hand guided, no computer. Outlining the applique, veins in the leaves and pumpkins and fill work was all free hand with no marking.