View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Geri B

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I have helped the LA who does some of my quilts. She has the top of the line Gammill LA set up. It's too tedious getting the quilt loaded, fiddled with, rolled and then off. That's the drawback for me about having the LA frame. I know me and I won't use a frame set up much because I'd dread the loading of the quilt. I strongly suggest using a LA set up from start to finish before investing in one. I learned a lot.
Loading a quilt on the frame does not take any longer than laying the parts on the floor or where ever, pinning/basting/glueing or whatever, then rolling, shifting, unrolling, repositioning on a sit down machine. And, in my personal opinion, the tension of the three parts of the sandwich are better controlled on the frame, and no chance of getting tucks in backing. But, that is why I have a framed L/A.......and I do respect the choice of those who have decided the sit down version works better for them-and there must be quite a lot of them for the "big" mfgrs to be offering the sitdown machines.......there are some quilt artists who do spectacular work on their dsm.....just another choice we are able to make to make this a wonderful hobby...