View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 06:52 AM
BoJangles

Steve, I looked up your G.E. Sewhandy Model A in Nancy Johnson-Srebro's Expanded Third Edition, Featherweight 221 the Perfect Portable. She is considered the most knowledgeable person on the FW and its history. On page 15 of her book she says, "I believe the Sewhandy was the immediate predecessor of the FW, or at least it strongly influenced its design. There are too many similarities between the two machines. This conjecture on my part has been supported by many correspondents, but disputed by others."

She also goes on to say that some people think Singer's Class 24-80 Portable Electric Chain Stitch machine inspired the FW. Nancy does not believe that to be true, as there are too many differences in the FW and the 24-80, but the 24-80 did have a similar carrying case to the FW. She makes no mention that G.E.s Model A had a similar carrying case? I am wondering if that case is not from a FW? It seems funny to me that Nancy Johnson-Srebro would make a note that Singer's 24-80's only similarity to the FW was its carrying case, but she does not mention the Model A having a similar carrying case? Just curious!

Nancy