View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 07:00 AM
grant15clone

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Steve, I looked up your G.E. Sewhandy Model A in Nancy Johnson-Srebro's Expanded Third Edition, Featherweight 221 the Perfect Portable. She is considered the most knowledgeable person on the FW and its history. On page 15 of her book she says, "I believe the Sewhandy was the immediate predecessor of the FW, or at least it strongly influenced its design. There are too many similarities between the two machines. This conjecture on my part has been supported by many correspondents, but disputed by others."

She also goes on to say that some people think Singer's Class 24-80 Portable Electric Chain Stitch machine inspired the FW. Nancy does not believe that to be true, as there are too many differences in the FW and the 24-80, but the 24-80 did have a similar carrying case to the FW. She makes no mention that G.E.s Model A had a similar carrying case? I am wondering if that case is not from a FW? It seems funny to me that Nancy Johnson-Srebro would make a note that Singer's 24-80's only similarity to the FW was its carrying case, but she does not mention the Model A having a similar carrying case? Just curious!

Nancy
Nancy you make a good point. Looking at the case I saw the hole for the spool of thread cut into the bottom of the lift out drawer. It lines up perfectly. This would lead me to believe that the hole was made by the owner modifying a case to fit, or it is the original case. The original color of the case is Green, is it not, and painted black? If it was green to begin with, it would make me think that it is all original to the machine. I have not seen a green FW case. Either way though. I still want one.
~G~