View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 07:58 AM
Geri B

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I recently read parts 1 and 2 of the Follett "100 year" trilogy ("Fall of Giants" and "Winter of the World") and am awaiting part 3. I enjoyed them so much I picked up Follett's "Pillars of the Earth". All are works of fiction with historical accuracy. I often found myself running to Wikipedia to get more details of the events that were described. All are highly recommend if you like "period" novels with historical accuracy. "Giants" and "Winter" take you from WWI through the end of WWII - with characters based in England, the US, Germany, and Russia. "Pillars" is a rough sketch of the relationship between the monarchy and the church in England in 1100-1170.

Finished "Pillars" yesterday and started a "The Sign of Four" which is an Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes) novel. Strangely enough ... I've never actually READ Doyle. Enjoying it so far and so far I agree that Downey Jr. was a much better Sherlock than Rathbone. Boy they sure did "tone down" Sherlock in those old movies. Anyway, this is what I am reading (listening to ) in my car.

My other book (an actual book - I like to read in bed) is "Bliss" by O.Z. Livaneli. So far I like it.
Loved those Follett books!!!!!! Doyle's Sherlock Holmes--read the adventures of.... way back when...loved the logic of the man.....also like the new Elementary on TV...sort of a modern Sherlock....sort of interesting so far...