View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 08:19 AM
scisyb220

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I recently read parts 1 and 2 of the Follett "100 year" trilogy ("Fall of Giants" and "Winter of the World") and am awaiting part 3. I enjoyed them so much I picked up Follett's "Pillars of the Earth". All are works of fiction with historical accuracy. I often found myself running to Wikipedia to get more details of the events that were described. All are highly recommend if you like "period" novels with historical accuracy. "Giants" and "Winter" take you from WWI through the end of WWII - with characters based in England, the US, Germany, and Russia. "Pillars" is a rough sketch of the relationship between the monarchy and the church in England in 1100-1170.

Finished "Pillars" yesterday and started a "The Sign of Four" which is an Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes) novel. Strangely enough ... I've never actually READ Doyle. Enjoying it so far and so far I agree that Downey Jr. was a much better Sherlock than Rathbone. Boy they sure did "tone down" Sherlock in those old movies. Anyway, this is what I am reading (listening to ) in my car.

My other book (an actual book - I like to read in bed) is "Bliss" by O.Z. Livaneli. So far I like it.
I just finished reading Follett's "World Without End" and absolutely loved it, so I will have to look into the "100 year" trilogy you described. I really liked his writing style and this was the first time in a very long time I read anything that took me more than a day or two to finish reading. I read a great book last month, "Blood of Flowers" which was set in 15th century Persia that I enjoyed tremendously. In the past year, I've read: Kite Runner, The Zookeeper's Wife, The Land of Anonymous Women, and anything at all by Robyn Carr. There were many others that I can't recall the actual titles of, but I am such a fast reader that I usually get through most books within 2-3 days. I will have to check into getting the other Follett books and start on a new adventure. Oh, and I've read several of Phillippa Gregory's historical novels about the royal women of England and also Henry VIII's queens. Apparently I am drawn to historical novels.