View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 08:49 AM
Suze9395

Originally Posted by booklady View Post
I am a High School Librarian so when I do get the chance to read I usually pick something off the shelves at school. Although the kids seem to think I have read them all, that is just not the case! It helps me to promote the books if I've read them and can "booktalk" them to the students. It also helps when I ask them about their book when it's returned. They perk up when I say something about the ending or something that happens in their book choice.

When I tear myself away from the sewing/crochet/knit/crafts room I usually just head for something entertaining. I'm a big Nora Roberts fan. Also historical fiction, especially when it's places I know. We have a BIG used book sale here three times a year at our Main Library so I keep well supplied.
Thank you, to you and all the librarians out there who take the time to engage and encourage students (really everyone) to enjoy reading. My kids had a wonderful school librarian.

My son is dyslexic and she did a great job of suggesting books that helped get him reading and coming back for more!

My daughter is a voracious reader and when she was in 7th grade they started taking a group of students to the Sr HS library. I was concerned about the age appropriateness of some of the books she was bringing home, so I started reading them. This allowed me to relax and gave us common ground during some of the challenging teenage years.

I have to say I am thoroughly impressed with the great range of choices today's youth has. The young adult section was not nearly so large and varied when I was looking for books at that age.