View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Greenheron

I read Charles Frazier's (Cold Mountain, Thirteen Moons)Nightwoods yesterday. It felt just a bit like the classic Davis Grubb The Night of the Hunter because Mr. Frazier is able to root his characters in time and place as did Grubb. I've heard Thirteen Moons criticized for being so different from Cold Mountain but these are not Series books (which are fun, if predictable). It took some work and thought to go through Thirteen Moons--and well worth the effort. When I read Frazier I can smell the forest, the dust, and feel the mist and wind of the mountains and look through the eyes of his characters.
Night of the Hunter takes a reader to the depression era Ohio Valley. Davis Grubb was also criticized because his subsequent works were not Night of the Hunter. He deliberately experimented with his writing style.

I recommend both authors although it's likely difficult to find any other Grubb titles (Voices of Glory, Fools Parade, The Barefoot Man). And for old movie fans (ME!) I do not find any modern slasher film more frightening than the purely evil Preacher portrayed so unforgettably by the (handsome, great, sexy, veteran) Robert Mitchum in the old black-and-white Night of the Hunter.

Last edited by Greenheron; 01-26-2013 at 12:27 PM.