View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 07:08 AM
crashnquilt

Yes having sewing buddies is absolutely the best! We have about 15 in our group. Actually we are outcasts from the quilt guild in our area. We have a blast when we get together. We schedule our sew days once a month. 6 of the gals have enough room to accomodate a large group. Usually on sew days not all of us are together but the group is usually 6 to 8 of us. We also have birthday celebrations for all of us. We all belong to different types of BOM clubs. We go on shop hops together, quilting retreats, classes and just about anything else imaginable.
We make lots of quilts and give them away to people in the community that need them. We actually look forward to our quilt stash getting used so that we can "have a good reason" for buying more fabric and sewing. But there is something so much more important.
If one in our group has a personal problem, WE ALL have this problem. One of our members daughter was suddenly hospitalized. But that mother was never alone. We figured a schedule among us all that at least one of us were with her at all times. That was OUR daughter.
My father in law passed away Dec. 23 2012. All 15 of "my girls" were with me at the visitation and the next day for the services. Their support got me thru that terrible time.
Right now, one of us is in the process of trying to get her niece out of the foster system. (long horrible story) But she and her husband had a court hearing for their character. We all showed up at court. It was quite the sight to see all these women show up with husband's and children in tow. It must have made an impression with the court because we have temporary custody pending home studies. In fact, one of those home studies happened when our sew day was at her house. The case worker came in and was totally shocked! We had a group of 10 that day, and in the middle of us all was this child setting at a machine sewing, giggling and having a blast. The girl is 13. The case worker asked the girl "So how's your home life?" Not missing a beat the girl responds with "I am a member of 15 families! They all love me. How can a kid go wrong with that!"
Sorry to have gotten so windy in this reply but I wanted everyone to know just what a blessing a "sewing group" can be.