View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 04:28 PM
seamstome

Default If you owned a quilt store

I am posting this because of another thread on LQS closing. I am not looking for answers like I would have nicer help or be friendlier. I am looking for profit making ideas that YOU like about your LQS, that you want to have at your LQS or things you would do.

My BFF works in a store and we go on annual trips covering 15-30 different shops a year and I think I have seen everything from a shop in someone's garage to Lolly's in Shipshewanna and Hancock's to a warehouse shop. There are reasons that some of these shops are very successful.

We always talk about our ideal store. For me, merchandising is a biggie. I want to see samples, have everything all together to make the project in a eye-catching display, good lighting, interesting decor.

Also I want a store that is responsive. For example, I like this one type of marking pencil. I order it on line because nobody around here carries it. I took it to a newer LQS owner and told her the reasons that I think my marking pencil is superior to what she carries and asked her to carry it. Bet it will be on her shelves soon or she will tell me why not.

Classes and I have them on NEW things as well as the basics. This is a great profit maker plus it keeps the customer involved in your store. If I owned a store, I would have alot of classes and speakers.

I would have a LA and that machine would be humming 24/7---okay at least 8 hours a day 6-7 days a week. Good side money plus people like to see activity.

I would sell machines. I dont think you can make it strictly on fabric any more.

I would HONOR Joann fabrics coupons for my loyal customers once a month. Let JA do my advertising. And I would carry all the basics to make a project, even if batting or thread had to be a loss leader or at dead cost. If I have to go to JA's to pick cheap batting, I am more likely to buy other things there.

I would have competitive hours. None of this 10-3 stuff. If you are going to have a business, you need to have it be open. That's just a personal pet peeve of mine. Again, if I have to run to JA's because the LQS is not open at 6pm, the revenue goes to JA's.

I would have a nice website. It is amazing when we are traveling, how many shops dont have one.

I think to make any money you would have to do shows.

Finally, I would move the fabric. I dont like it when I walk in and find the same fabric from a year ago.

So this is my list, I am looking forward to your ideas.