View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 11:46 PM
justflyingin

Originally Posted by margie77072 View Post
It just struck me why I'm having such a hard time deciding and designing and finishing quilts. It's the quilting part. I don't currently have the skills to quilt and I can't afford to have someone else do it. Quilting takes a so-so quilt and elevates it to something magical. I'm not so worried about the ones for kids, they'll love it with mistakes and all. It's the ones for adults that have me terrified....what if they don't like my quilting.....what if I make noticeable mistakes, etc...... (Oops, the What If monster got out again.) Now, I'm paralyzed with fear. How do I get past this? Help, I'm drowning in a lake of negativity.
Unless you are a judge, or someone who actually sits down on their bed and checks out the quilting stitches themselves, who actually notices the stitches themselves? I see the design of the fabrics, the colors--and unless it is a "whole cloth" or actually meant to see the stitches--I really don't notice the quilting whose job is actually (as someone else mentioned) is to hold the three layers together, unless there is something strange going on.

I can understand your fright if it is going to be a wall hanging, meant to be handled, touched and examined on someone's wall like a painting, but if it is a baby blanket or a bed quilt, just do it. Most people will go "ooh" and "aah" and unless you point out the problems, they won't even think about the actual quilting part.