View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 06:55 AM
sewmom

A lady in our church started a once a month group to make quilts for our graduating seniors. It happened to be on the same day as our crocheted group. That was about 1 1/2 yrs ago. We now meet every week in her home and we are called 'Hands to the Spindle'. 1st week is reserved for crochet/ knitting or any kind of handwork, 2nd week is the day we work on the seniors' quilts, 3rd is bring your own project day and the last week is for the BOM we started. We are a small group-6 at the most, but we are all friends and go to the same church. Last fall we had a retreat at one lady's cottage on the lake and had the best time! I would totally recommend getting together with friends! Oh I also should say that only 3 of us had ever made more than 1 quilt and some had never made a quilt. 2 have since gone on to make one mostly by themselves. Last year we made 9 quilts for the seniors and this year we are making 12. Our plan is to do a different pattern every year. Last year was a coin quilt and this year is a Fun and Done style quilt. We cut all the squares of backing, batting and scrap strips into a box and gave one to each member. That way each is making their own. Last year my friend and I ended up quilting all 9 between the 2 of us and didn't want to repeat that! Plus there were issues with different machines and seam allowances that we didn't want repeated either. I love my group and we are sisters- in quilting and in the Lord. I rarely miss this time together- sick or out of town is my only reason. My Dh came home early one Wednesday and my car was in the driveway. I was in bed with a migraine. He said- i knew you must not be feeling well if you missed your quilting day!