View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 08:29 AM
fireworkslover

Originally Posted by ShirlinAZ View Post
I guess I started backwards. I selected a design appropriate to the fabric (crane shapes on a crane print), cut the crane out of cardboard and stuck it on my quilt with double stick tape. Then I quilted around one, moved the shape to the next spot and quilted around it. Kept doing that until the whole thing was quilted. I have also used tracing paper to put the design I want onto the quilt. Sometimes I draw the design with a #2 pencil. Pounce chalk has not yet worked well for me, although I keep trying with different templates. I have used cookie cutters, plastic templates, and outlines of animals or other things that I find on the internet for my shapes. If the size isn't right I just put it in my picture program and resize it until I am satisfied. I've tried stippling but just can't seem to get the motion down.
If you want an exact shape to quilt around, try drawing it on freezer paper. You cut it out and then iron it in place to stitch around it. The freezer paper can be used over and over again before it looses it's shiny side. I've done this so know it works.

Also try looking at Leah Days website: daystyledesigns.com She has hundreds of designs w/ videos showing how to stitch them. These all can be done on a small scale or larger depending on what you want. Practice drawing on paper or a dry erase board. It helps with your muscle memory. I think the fear so many have is they don't know where to go next and are fearful of getting stuck in a corner. Also practice on fq's in a sandwich. Use solid or nearly solid fabric. Practice some more until you feel comfortable with fmq.