View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 08:38 AM
merridancer

Default I own a quilt store....

and I would love to do all the things you ask for....but...everything has a cost and there is only so much money and time to go around. I really just want to address the issue about honoring Joann's coupons. In general LQS carries a higher quality of fabric, so our cost per yard than more than what Joann's is paying. You get what you pay for. Second, Joann's and Walmart can purchase fabric by a shipping container full which is several thousands of yards, usually 3,000 to 6,000 yards at a time. So the cost of a single run of fabric is much cheaper because the set-up costs is only done once. Manufactures for the LQS typically print 500 yards at a time, so every 500 yards, there is a new set-up cost for a new run of a fabric. Lastly, Joann's usually marks up the costs higher than the LQS so they can discount it by a third and still get a 100% markup on cost. A LQS cannot give a 30% discount on the fabric they purchase because the markup is much smaller and the overhead of rent, utilities, healthcare, insurance, payroll and inventory doesn't decrease to match the reduction in income. Anyway that's my rant for the day. Come visit us at www.beautifulquiltfabric.com. Meredith

Last edited by merridancer; 01-28-2013 at 08:41 AM.