Thread: Fray Check
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 PM
chickadeee55

Thank you for your very informative reply. Unfortunlately I am doing applique with machine embroidery designs.

I may have to look into the Fray Block and see if that would better help me.

I had no idea the fabric edges would fray as much as they are I am using a good quality fabric. But thank you for the tips.

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
fray check is often used by needle pointer's and cross stitchers to keep the edges of their (canvas) from fraying- it drys hard- leaves a stiff edge- if you plan to use it with an applique i would definitly wait until after stitching-since it would be very difficult to stitch through. just remember you would then have a hard edge around your applique. what kind of applique are you doing? raw edge applique (generally) is done with a fusable on the back- which (help) keep the fraying from happening- turn under applique cutting a wider turn under edge will help keep fraying from happening. what (applique stitch) are you using? a blanket stitch? a small zigzag? a satin stitch? you may want to increase the width of the stitch & lessen the length- so the stitch takes a larger bite of the applique- but the stitch is closer together. if using fray check- definitly after the stitching is done...pictures would help with advice on how to (overcome) the problem in the future.