View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 01:47 AM
nancia

i was so terrified of fmq (feathers-shudder) that i waited until my dgd was a year old before i quilted her baby quilt! i did a very so-so job- not horrible for a first timer, but not very good either. she sleeps with the quilt that grammi made just for her and she loves it! and what about me?? i discovered the most amazing thing in the world. i LOVE fmqing! who knew?! i get a real charge out of it. i still do doll quilts (that swap is open every month and no doubt there's a new sign up) and i do mug rugs and tablerunners, and other stuff too. i swap because it encourages me to go further, try harder and have something i would want someone else to look at and say, "ooo, i really like that. i want to try that, too" i have given dq's when i was new to quilting and i have seen my work improve. i have rec'd from newbies and i've seen their work improve. sometimes i get a treasure of gorgeous quilting and i stand in awe with it in my hands. but honestly, i feel that way about all of them. someone took the time the fabric, and energy to make something just for me. so i have gained skill, have a lot more to go. i have made friends, and i have wonderful quilt laden walls, each one with a story attached. so jump in, screw up, laugh and froggit, and enjoy it. it's very freeing, and you end up wishing you could get to the fun part, the quilting! good luck, and happy quilting!