View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 05:09 AM
DustysMomma

Let's see, no sewing fun yesterday. Instead I got in 15 hours of work! I did my 9 at my regular job, then had to go to go payroll for this music store that a friend opened before Christmas. Of course, I can't just go do what I planned to and leave, because they always have questions. So what should have taken 30 minutes was instead 2 hours. Then I get home and eat and log in remotely to the contractor I do bookkeeping for and start trying to get his new software up and running. It's an upgrade in year version, but he downgraded from "complete" to "pro" so it won't see the old company file and let it just import and go be happy. Instead, I had to export lists from the old software and import it into the new one. Sounds easy enough, but it's time consuming, has to be done in a certain order, and he hasn't activated the software OR the payroll service he paid for, so now we have 4 uses left before I'm locked out again! Message to him to please do that today or he won't be able to calculate payroll this week!

Oh, and the fun doesn't end there. Because it was a forced upgrade, I can't print W-2's or 1099's from the old system. I'm going to have to get everything entered, then get the totals for everyone for the year and input them in the new system as beginning balances, then print them from the new system. Of course, they made it so the capacity to do all this ended December 1st, so that you were forced to upgrade and buy another full year of payroll service before you could do payroll after that date. Since he didn't tell me he couldn't get the new program to work until January, I'm guessing he's been writing payroll checks based on 40 hr checks from right before that. Oh my, this is going to be fun....and W-2's are supposed to be out in 2 days. Thankfully there's only 2 employees! I must knock that out tonight.

I was thinking that I should mostly finish the year in the old program, but now I'm thinking that putting it in the new one would be better. Grrrr! So much to import/export! Why didn't he do this last summer when we first found out that they were doing this?