Old 01-29-2013, 05:20 AM
coopah

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
Times are definitely getting tougher for folks on a fixed income. All of your suggestions are good ones.
As we used to do when I was a kid, I change my 'good' clothes as soon as I come home and wear old clothes when no company is expected. I wear clothes more than once, cuts down on the laundry. I wash out the Swiffer cloths and use them over again many times. If I use a paper towel for just a little 'wet' task, then I save it for wiping up the floor. I use the HandiWipes wa-a-a-ay longer than recommended, throwing them in the washer every time I run it. If paper napkins are set at the table and not used, I'll use them again. There are lots of examples of things that my depression era folks taught me when I was little that I incorporate now.
These are all good ideas, but might I suggest using microfiber cloths and to use instead of Swiffer cloths and paper towels? I bought a few at Big Lots or Bed, Bath Beyond (using a coupon) when they came out 10 years or so ago. The biggest plus is they can be washed and reused often and last forever> Just don't use softener/dryer sheets when you wash them. I've even seen these cloths at the Dollar Tree. PLUS you don't have to use chemicals to get things clean. Just the microfiber cloth and maybe a little water, depending on what you're cleaning. This is one of my biggest savings...and helps my asthma when I don't use chemicals. Great for washing windows and even dusting! NO CHEMICALS!! And no, I don't own any stock in these companies!!