Old 01-29-2013, 07:20 AM
QultingaddictUK

I never have my hot water tank on as I have a electric shower and a dishwasher, which saves me a lot of money on electric and water consumption.

I keep my bread in the freezer so I just take out a slice or two at a time, I buy bags of fresh vegetables and prepare a bag at a time, I cook them until "il dente" put in ice cold water and lay them on a tea towel in the freezer, so they are "free flow". No waste and taste so much nicer than shop frozen vegetables. My slow cooker is out on top of the cooker as I always have sustaining home made soup, stews and casseroles on the go, which are then portioned out and frozen.

If my small freezer gets low I pop a scrunched up paper filled cardboard box at the bottom as freezing air is very expensive.

I wear comfortable cotton nightdresses when indoors as it saves getting threads on my good clothes. Not very soiled items like towels sheets etc. are put on a rinse only wash in the machine, and I always use the lowest setting possible on other items, but do use a good store own brand washing gel.

I never ever throw any food out, all is used up or frozen to use another day, and my shopping is extremely price orientated, fortunately for me we have 3 really good discount stores under a mile from where I live so I save a heap on petrol.

I live quite well on my pension because of this and thanks to the Internet I can get my quilting needs from the USA as even with postage costs I can save between 30 - 50% on the prices here in the UK!

I don't have a Credit card but do have a cash Debit card, I do all my shopping with this I NEVER draw out cash to go shopping, why? Well to use cash you have to estimate how much you will need so for example you withdraw £50 cash and your shopping comes to £43.99 you then have £6.01 pence lying around, use your Cash card and you have £6.01 more in your bank account! My husband always said "pennies make pounds" and I have found this to be so true.