View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Good suggestion, Tartan.

As for the quality variations ... some of the wideback flannelettes are the SAME as the regulars, just made that way.

I have found flannelettes have a wide variation in the quality. The only way I feel good about any is to buy a piece and wash it. I've had some that seemed great in the store and when I brought it home and washed it, it was like cardboard ... or went limp and thin ... and recently, some that started to pill like it does after much usage. Being flannelette I usually wash it two (or more) times, just to get a good sense of what's happening and to get the shrinkage under control!!! I've also had allegedly cheap stuff according to look, feel and price) that when washed, it was soft and fluffy and all I could say was, I want more!!

So my suggestion is for you to buy a piece of what you would like to use and wash it up in hot water with a hot dryer. Be your own judge and make your own decisions! Be sure to measure before and after so you know the shrinkage and can adjust your purchased amount accordingly.

For sure, you can get wideback flannelettes at the Len's stores. Not knowing where you are in Southern Ontario, I don't know if the following may be possible for you. I'm pretty sure that there are wide back flannelettes at ...
Lilac Lane, Alliston
Creative Sisters, Kitchener
Cobwebs and Caviar, Shelburne
............., New Hamburg (sorry, can't remember the name)
and I know I have seen them in many other LQS'!