View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 08:13 AM
Traditional Quilter

Originally Posted by maconquilter View Post
I recently completed a wall hanging. I want to fill in the "white" space with hand quilting. I am an avid scrapbooker and used chipboard to cut a design I could find in my home rather than going out and purchasing a pre-made plastic template. I need to draw the design. I have read numerous reviews of chalk, so-called disappearing ink, etc. A little scray. I did not wash the fabric before using. I am afraid if I apply water for it to dry away, the fabric dyes may run. What suggestions can you share with me? Thank you. Karen
I am a hand quilter and I use Sewline pencil for marking small projects and Roxanne's silver pencil for large projects on light colored fabric because the marks seem to stay visible longer than Sewline. These will have to be washed out. Unless you have a lot of red in your project you shouldn't have a problem with bleeding. However, just to be safe I'd wash in cold water with no detergent and two or three of the color catcher sheets. I have never used the blue pens on hand quilting projects because I'm usually working on those for several months, even years and am unsure if the blue ink will come out. However, I found some machine quilting sample pieces I had marked a couple years ago and sprayed a spot with water and the ink disappeared. So, I intend to try a very fine blue pen on my next project. It will be much easier for my old eyes to see. Happy quilting!