View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 08:19 AM
Peckish

A few years ago I made a quilt for the baby daughter of a wonderful therapist who was helping me through a very rough patch in my life. When I gave the quilt to her (to give to her daughter) she said it was too beautiful to use, she'd have to figure out a way to hang it. I said oh no no no. I WANT this quilt to be on the floor with a baby on top. I want it barfed on, peed on, washed many times, and wore out. Two years later she told me her daughter LOVES that quilt and has to sleep with it every night. The binding is pieced out of different colors of fabric, and she said her daughter picks a different color to hold on to every night when she goes to sleep. That made me so happy, I cried.

On the other end of the spectrum is my SIL. She's strongly hinted about a quilt, but I am reluctant. She is very conscious of how things look; everything has to be perfect. She changes her deco every 18 months or so. She sells things at garage sales when she is done with them. I'm afraid I'll make a quilt for her and it will be gone after 2 years, and I will resent that and it will affect our relationship.