Old 01-29-2013, 10:59 AM
MargeD
Power Poster

Default ugly quilt tops

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I just finished sqaures for a quilt top , a large enough for a full/queen bed. I know just by looking at the sqaures on the wall , I will not like this any better once its done. Its been a long time since I made a quilt I really did not like. I usually use very small pieces for my scrap quilts. This time I used larger pieces as my scrap pile was just getting too large and smaller pieces would not help me to get the pile more manageable in a timely manner.
It seems like a bad idea to put money into the batting and backing that could be used for a more appealing quilt.
This is one of the situations where the tried and true methods should not have been abandoned.. SO my questions is what to you do with the DUDS? Do you finish ? What happened to your DUD?
When I belonged to a guild, our "charity" was to make quilts and donate them to "David's House" a house similar to the Ronald McDonald houses where families could stay while their children were in the hospital for sometimes a very long time. I was trying to reduce my "stash" by using up fabric that had been given to me: namely mustard gold print with a red calico print. I believe I used 9-patches, however, I reached a certain point on the quilt where it told me "enough - quit", so I wound up with a smaller crib size quilt, that I considered somewhat ugly, if not bright. Imagine my surprise when the following month there was a picture of a baby and this "ugly" quilt. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I was happy that the quilt had found a home.