Old 01-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Halo

To save on quilting supplies, everyone I know brings me their clothing they are getting rid of. Most all is usable for quilts. I also hit the yard sales for blankets to use as batting & sheets for backing. Sheets also make fantastic background fabric for quilt blocks. I just make sure they are like new or slightly used condition. I also pick up, like new, bedspreads at yard sales (the ones that has batting on the backs of them) & use them for backing. Don't have to worry about extra batting that & they make wonderful quilt backing. We have always been on the low income level & when my kids were home, I made all their clothing out of clothing other people gave me. My girls were 12 before they got their first store bought dress's & they would rather have ones that I made for them. I have always made everything from scratch & toss very little out. I even save postage stamps & mod podge then on small boxes for treasure boxes. I even covered an old lamp shade with them & it turned out awesome. It takes a long time to get enough stamps, so I ask everyone I know to save these for me also.