Thread: Wool Applique
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 05:23 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

i do lots of wool applique- wool is wonderful to work with- i purchase alot of my wool from thrift stores/yard sales. i (de=construct) garments removing any interfacings, trims, buttons, seams ect...then i wash it in the washer on a regular cycle with HOT water & detergent- then rinse in cold water- dry in hot dryer...steam press if wrinkled- wools are great for dyeing projects- and you can take a number of different textures & over dye them for a (family) that coordinates.
once it is washed & dried it is ready to cut up & use any way you'd like-
i generally use Perle Cotton's (sometimes i use a wool floss) i use freezer paper templates- it presses to the wools easily- peels off without leaving residue & you don't have to reverse patterns like you do for fusables...i do not use fusables- i tried them once years ago & found them unreliable- not a good choice for the wools- i either just hold a piece with my fingers or i pin it. i do lots of wool appliques on flannel quilts, some projects that are wool on wool- i just love working with wool!
garments, purses/totes, rugs, quilts...all are fabulous made from felted wools!
heres a couple little samples-
[ATTACH=CONFIG]391755[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]391756[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]391757[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails february-crazy-block.jpg   2more-wool-hawaiian.jpg   wool-appl-blocks.jpg