Old 01-30-2013, 07:26 AM
Iraxy

I have not purchased paper towels or napkins in years. I use dish towels and buy them on sale after holidays. I had some beautiful fabric years ago and made napkins and placemats which are still going strong. I use coupons and keep my eye out for meat sales then buy in bulk and separate it out in freezer bags. I make sure not to waste these by leaving them in the freezer to die. We make a big batch of chili and separate that out. I turn left over rice into fried rice and left over mashed potatoes into pancakes the next morning. I make garbage soup one day a week and all of the leftovers (rice, veggies, meat) go into a savory broth. I buy bread in the 1/2 price bin and toast it up and no one knows the difference. I do make my own bread and jams and jellies. Where you don't save by making your own bread, you can save when you make your own jams. I take left over towels and tear them up, hem them on the machine and voila, instant dish towels. I use old towels to clean up messes. I use vinegar and baking soda for cleaning lots of things. I grow my own garden and only plant what we will eat over the year. Tomatoes, potatoes, onions, garlic, cucumbers, jalapenos, spinach and as a special treat, corn. I have taken in donated canning jars and only buy the lids when needed. I try to save wherever and whenever I can but I don't buy the cheapest just to save money now since that usually ends up a mistake. I buy my clothes at the end of the season but only buy "classic" things like jeans and tees without writing on them. I love my sweat shirts and wear them with jeans so I don't look so messy. I have dressed up many a tee shirt to match an occasion. I buy good shoes so they will fit and last a lifetime. These are just things I learned to do while living on a farm in a very rural area. Me, a city girl born and raised! My sister laughs out loud when she hears I am doing all these things. Sometimes I do too!