Old 01-30-2013, 09:22 AM
Lady Diana

My 90 year old Mom is obviously on a fixed income. I found that since she was 65, her bank had been charging her monthly banking fees! They have no charge for seniors. I asked them why they did not let he know that....well ummm, she didn't ask. That saved her $96 per year. Then I looked at her electric bill....she was paying way too much per kilowatt hour...changed providers, that alone saved$1800 per year!! Then I looked at all the medications she was taking. Although she had good coverage on her perscriptions, there was still a charge for each one. Switched her to ordering three month supply by mail and saved her $600 per year!Then I looked at her auto and home insurance, changed companies, same coverage and saved her $573 per year. Sit down, look at your bills...then call all of your service providers and ask for best price, best rates and if they have discounts. Most restaurants give senior discounts, just ask. For example, Arby's give seniors free drinks with food purchase. YOU HAVE TO ASK. I also found that alot of service companies, even various delivery companies have senior discounts. YOU HAVE TO ASK. Kroger grocery stores have a senior discount card/key ring tab, rather than a plain discount car/keyring tab. No matter where you shop, always ask for that senior discount. Kroger also has a point system on purchases that gives you up to 30 cents off per gallon of gas...depending on your total build up of purchases over a few months. If you are still working, ask for company discounts on your cell phone bill. If you are shopping for a specific item, check the internet, ask the retailer if they price match. Most large retailers will price match if their competitor has a physical store location. (Walmart does this)
I saved $450 on a sewing machine when I asked for thier best price, and then I would not have to pay tax by ordering on the net....the local dealer reduced their price to match my less tax price on the net.