Old 01-30-2013, 10:47 AM
Stitch124

I still work (commute 40 miles one way) so I found a carpool partner who works in my building. We leave at 6am and get off work at 3:30pm. That saves gas since we don't hit the rush hour traffic and we can still use the carpool lanes. I will run my errands on the way home from work to save on gas. I prefer to not eat out, only because I'm afraid of getting all those illnesses I've been hearing about like the flu and such. Got a nasty case of bronchitis right after Christmas and I know it was from eating a hamburger from a fast food place. It can also save on groceries and dr. bills. Do my laundry late at night, not during the busiest time of the day. Drink a lot more water, less sodas. Use less toothpaste, learned to groom my own dog, wash my own car, wait for movies to come to TV instead of going to the movies. My TV has built in cable channels so I only pay for basic service. Cut down on cell phone expenses by monitoring data usage and reduce the plan if feasible. Cut back on eating meat, eat chicken, fish and veggies.

My daughter wanted to learn to make a pair of ruffle pants for her toddler so we just made up our own pattern instead of buying a pattern and used some of my fabric stash. I also knit using only the yarn I have on hand. I make items to sell in a local gift/specialty shop my friend owns so that helps make a little extra money. I haven't bought new clothes or shoes in years. I also take off my 'work uniform' and wear grubbies around the house.

My husband is unemployed and although he is 62 and could draw SS he doesn't want to yet. My 27 yr old daughter and her two little girls also live with me. She is a newly licensed cosmetologist and is building her clientele so she doesn't make enough to live on her own yet. She's a single mom, with no child support coming in, so a lot of our living expenses are from the extra utilities, electricity, water, heat, food, etc. She's starting to take on more of her own expenses, but it is still mostly on me to keep the bills paid.

It does get overwhelming, but I find refuge in knitting and quilting.