Old 01-31-2013, 06:31 AM
DebbE

We got rid of cable years ago -- we have Netflix streaming, and watch that, and local channels. Its cheap and I get to watch a lot of old series I didn't see the first time around (we were working way too many hours then!). I go to the library for books, and they have a great section of music and movies, too! Also, I live near Kaiser Permanente Dental, and they have bookcases of books that are sold $1 each (and all of that money is donated to charity), and the books come from patients as donations -- lots of brand new books in there! I buy fabrics at Goodwill, and when shopping yard sales for grandkids clothes (always looking to 'buy ahead' in sizes), I also look for larger clothing that has nice patterns, tablecloths, etc, for fabric. I go to Craigslist for free stuff - my friend just bought a house and I'm looking for plants, and yard stuff she'll need, which folks give away when they're redoing a yard, cleaning out, etc. Use a crock pot a lot and make at least 2 meals from it (there are only 2 of us here), so it makes it an easy dinner next time. Hubby stops at farmers stands during spring/summer for fruit/veggies, and we love stir fry with a little rice. Watch Lowes/Home Depot for paint 'oops' for paint to update lawn furniture, change out wall colors, etc. Above all, I LIKE looking for ways to save money - its fun for me, as well as necessary nowadays. We work very hard for every dollar, so why shouldn't we look for ways to make that same dollar work for us??