Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 AM
QuiltingNinaSue

Anael, thanks for the update on the twins...big hugs from everyone in the virtual RV to you, your son and DIL.

Carrie, to tie a quilt is very easy to do....IF you can find a darning needle with a big eye and and pointed sharp end. I failed here to find one in any store, finally found my in a box of crochet thread where I last had it. Craft needles and doll needles do not work. You can use 6-strand embroidery floss or light weight yarn as the thread to 'tie' it. Use about 18" of thread at a time in your needle, enter on one side of the corner of the block and exit in the adjoining block, about an inch or inch and a quarter apart and double tie in a hard knot over the gap between entering and exiting of the yarn or floss. You can choose to make the enter/exit of yarn across the quilt, keeping the underneath smooth or until the needle runs out of yarn...then go back and clip between each to tie over the corners of the block. Quick and easy if you have the darning needle. I tried everything for two days in AIK's throw, got two rows done; but when I found the right needle, I finished in two hours or less. Did many a bed quilt on the bed with DGM in the old days...with heavy crochet thread. Did BIL's lilac quilt with heavy crochet thread last year. Good luck. Traditionally, the ties are about four to eight inches apart, depending on what is in the middle as batting, we often used old blankets in the good old days.