View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 02:15 PM
mhollifiel

Default No more new Bernina for me!

Before you decide MAKE A LIST of what you want your machine to do. I have a Bernina 1260 that is currently in the hands of a sewing machine master mechanic with some minor issues but she's been "rode hard" and never failed me. She more than deserves a complete overhaul in the mechanic's spa whether she needs it or not. I have had her routinely serviced but this time she's getting the complete physical. I would NOT buy a more recent Bernina model no matter what. BUT, all I ever do anymore is piece tops and my 1260 is the best for what I need. I no longer sew garments and, besides piecing, only do routine mending. Longarmers are my favorite people in all the world. So, I don't need more than what I have.
Why would I not get a more recent model? My Bernina is mostly mechanical with only minimal electronic components. I live in the swamp at least 2 hours from a dealer. Bernina, of all sewing machine makes, takes a very proprietary stand with regard to the repair and replacement of any parts of their machines. You cannot take a Bernina to just anyone. They can't get needed parts. And, this last week on a retreat run by a Bernina dealer, I overheard her tell someone complaining about it that, yes, the newest models will "warn you" twice that they need service. The third time they won't go anymore. I don't know if that's true but what a major problem that would cause me located where I am.

I am happy with the Bernina I have but if I needed or wanted the bells and whistles now available, I would start with a Janome. My niece paid $600 for hers and it sews every bit as well as my Bernina. She's married to a career air force officer and can get support if needed everywhere she's landed.

Many of the wonderful top of the line names aren't currently owned or made in the countries where they made their great names. As a librarian, I would encourage to do your research after you make your list to see what will suit you best. If I were where you are and didn't need much more than a great straight stitcher or zigzag, I'd go for a beloved model of yesteryear with all metal guts and no electronics. PM me if you decide to go that route, I know a great source that you can rely on. This is the first place I would go for a "new" machine. They are very reasonable workhorses and there's a reason so many are still around, going strong, and easy to repair if needed.

Last edited by mhollifiel; 01-31-2013 at 02:22 PM. Reason: additional