Old 01-31-2013, 05:12 PM
lmc8

At first, I thought perhaps this layout was on-point with diagonal HST sashing; although after sketching it out I found that is just an illusion. I believe it is a combination of 4-patch blocks, and half-square triangle 9-patch blocks; where the 9-patch HSTs are every other block, and every other row alternates between the floral 4-patches and hand-dyed 4-patches. Although I think I'd prefer the floral 4-patches not to be; I'd rather full-size squares and wrote the instructions below that way. It's not as difficult as it looks.

Fabrics: For each coordinating fabric color family, choose two hand-dyed solids and one medium-size floral print.

Cutting: Define a full-size square measurement dependent upon desired final dimensions & quantity of rows/columns.
Of each floral fabric, cut one full-size square, and eight quarter-size squares (for half-square triangles).
Of each solid fabric, cut ten quarter-size squares (two for four-patches, and eight for half-square triangles).

Layout: Arrange the cut blocks into rows alternating full-size floral squares and paired solid four-patch squares; also place the remaining quarter-size squares near its matching fabric, then pair-up each with a neighboring solid/floral pair.

Construction: Take care to keep the laid out color arrangements in order along the way.
Stack, sew, press a single four-patch for each quarted-size solid fabric pair, and return them to the layout.
Stack, sew, press the quarter-size solid/floral pairs into half-square triangles, and return them to the layout.
Stack, sew, press the half-square triangles into 9-patches, and return them to the layout.
Stack, sew and press, blocks into rows, then repeat sewing paired rows until the quilt-top is completely constructed.