Old 01-31-2013, 08:35 PM
oksewglad
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
CarrieM ... Great start on your February project! The sky blue is a grand choice.
Re tying ... the way I was taught by the LQS when I tied a quilt was much the same as OKSGlad mentioned ... X-on each tying spot. Then continue on to another spot ... depending on your spacings, you may want to skip the spot. The idea is that you stitch the whole quilt, then cut the threads between and do the actualy tying. We used all 6 strands of the embroidery thread. Gives a nice lustre, and hard to break when tying tight.

QNSue ... Oh dear! I'll be hoping that you can get the same fabric. Maybe phone them and ask ... and if not, then start the websearch? If your fabric is very loose and frays too easily ... use a Best Press or spray starch. That'll help give it a little more substance, plus I've discovered there's very little fraying when I put a quilt together. I like clean backs before it gets quilted ... so it makes for a lot less of that clean up! Good idea, don't take the PC til you see what you think about the FWS finish.
For clarification: The method I have linked to one does not cut the threads. They stay inside the quilt. Gnight. Off tomorrow on a road trip.