View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 04:23 AM
frudemoo

Well, what a morning! Went to look at the Phoenix in an industrial wasteland - I had no idea what I was going to find or what that quoted $50 might buy me in a place like that. It was all desolate blocks of lands, fenced at the perimeter... protecting what seemed to be either rubbish or decrepit buildings, for the most part.

The place I went to was behind a 7ft high set of metal doors and the guy I met was quite unkempt and had half his teeth missing with a dog that had an eye missing (not trying to be rude here, but just want to describe the scene - they were quite a pair!) ...And there is was. Sitting in the wet grass; a small wooden cabinet with the machine inside; an empty tin under the seat, its contents strewn in the grass beneath the machine; the seller seemingly oblivious to the importance of keeping the machine dry/together (sigh). He was nice enough, but it was pretty depressing. His grandmother's machine and treadle cabinet, rotting in this place that smelled like wet grass and doggy do. The veneer is peeling off in ribbons down the front of the cabinet and rippling on the top surface. I just had to get it out of there!!!

So for $30, I've got myself a VERY lost puppy. The owner didn't know anything about what his grandma used it for, and didn't have any memories of the machine, so that was a shame. I don't know if I can do anything with it, but at least it's out of the weather.

Here is a link to the gallery if anyone's interested to take a look: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums18008.html

All light-hearted jeering is welcome/expected. Commiserations gratefully accepted