View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 06:37 AM
Bneighbor

Last year I decided to take about 6 patterns and fabric "on the road". We drag race and I have down time between rounds (after car maintenance) and in the evening.
I cut and tagged each quilt then put each one into a gallon or two gallon (whichever fit the best) zip lock bag. I made sure the pattern instructions were added. I actually printed a copy to make it easier to put everything together as two of the quilts were from the same book. No need to carry any extra weight!
Did this one weekend while we were at a race. When we got home it took these "kits" with me to the fabric store to get thread, trim etc. which I put in each correct bag. They were then stored in a small closet designated just for my quilting. I have a swing machine, a tote with threads and notions and a quilters tote with everything a quilter would need. I can set up and be ready to sew in about 15 minuets or less.
Every race weekend I had a quilt to work on. Sometimes I would work on two at a time, if I was strip sewing. Last year I finished all six, plus three more I made up mid-season. I have several that need to be quilted yet. Most I FMQ this winter and gave as gifts, most baby-lap size quilts and wall hangings. I love rain during the week of a race, I can sew more. Sun for the weekend is a must...got to race to win!
This year, our race season starts a month later than normal, so my travel-sewing will be off to a slow start.
Maybe I should get off the computer and go upstairs and sew?