Old 02-01-2013, 10:41 AM
SteveH
Banned

Originally Posted by DonnaMiller View Post
Sorry. Bubble wrap cannot withstand the G forces generated in shipping. ...... it may work, but just know the machines are heavy iron and not be underestimated in their destructive power when loose in a box.
I think the key difference here is "loose in a box" Bubble wrap works VERY well if the piece is packed well enough that it cannot move. The issue that I have found is when people treat bubble wrap like magic wrap.... "I wrapped bubble wrap around it twice.." is not going to cut it.

The issue that I have has with hard foam/styro is it was packed so tight that the shocks were transmitted directly to the unit inside.

I have had damaged items that were packed in bubble wrap, foam, expanding foam, and even a custom made wooden shipping crate.

Failure to isolate the object from movement and insulating it from transferred shock is the key to a getting a damaged machine.

Dual boxing and dense packing of soft insulators is the best approach that I have found.

Another trick that I ask my shippers to use is to turn the box upside down and shake it before they ship it. If it moves, redo it.

FWIW