Old 02-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Janette

Default Check out Florida for horses

Originally Posted by cowgirlquilter View Post
My quilting friends,

I am trying to plan visits to a few different areas to search for a new job. I am currenty in Napa, California and want to look in these areas:

Austin, Texas
Dallas, Texas
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
San Antonio, Texas
Laramie, Wyoming
Cheyenne, Wyoming

My sweetie and I need to be able to live in the country, and yet be near enough to work that I can commute. I am willing to commute up to 45 minutes, if the right opportunity arises.

If any of you are willing to allow me to visit with you via telephone to gather information that I need to know about your area, or even allow me to know what kind of rent I could expect for a home in the country. I am more than willing to reimburse you for any cost it takes for you to call me.
Also, if there are "good" parts of town or "bad"parts of town, etc. that I would need to know about.
Hubby and I have no little ones, so we only need a small place, but we do need at least ten acres, and are willing to rent short term. We are horse people-enough said about that one!!! LOL!!
Please let me know your thoughts----and also, I would like to find out where the best quilting stores are located!! That would be a plus!! Field trip to the local quilt shop would have to be on the agenda!!

I am trying to scope out when I will be visiting, so at this time I dont have exact dates, but it depends on what information I find that will determine my next steps.
Thanks in advance for your help with this.
You might take a look at Ocala, Marion County, Florida. Ocala is known as the "horse capital of the world" with about 35,000 horses in the county alone. Many horse farms. Check out the Ocala Star-Banner for info. Good: housing is very affordable, beautiful area on the edge of the Ocala National Forest, horse farms actually come right up to the city limits (55,000 pop), I-75 goes right through the city, no state tax, property taxes not too high. Bad: salaries are probably lower than most places and jobs have been hard to get in the recession. Unemployment rate here is probably around 8-9%.