View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 12:38 PM
squires1042

This is the way we always did them. Harvard beets are one of my favorite dishes. Also love pickled beets.

Originally Posted by Alice Woodhull View Post
We raise beets in our garden. Just pull them, cut off the tops, leaving about 1 1/2 inches of the stems. Wash good, put in a kettle of water and boil until fork tender. Pour off the water, and replace with cold water. When cool enough to handle, peel. I like them sliced and reheated with butter. Also, I like Harvard Beets. Combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 2 - 4 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 tablespoon salt, 1/4 cup vinegar, 1/4 cup water, and 2 tablespoons margarine. Bring to a boil and cook until thick. Stir in beets and let stand until sauce is red. I also can pickled beets. Combine equal parts vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil. Add a hand full of whole cloves. Put beets in boiling liquid and bring to boil again. Place beets into hot sterilized jars, cover with liquid and add 1/2 teaspoon salt per pint. Seal with 2-piece lids. Place in boiling water bath and process for 10 minutes to assure seal.