View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 06:37 AM
Elaine433

My daughter grew some wheat as a project with the kids this past summer. She gave me a jar of wheat berries. I thought if I toasted the berries first it would taste better. I put berries in a non stick fry pan over med low heat until they started to pop. After I let them cool, we ground it using my little kitchen aid coffee grinder. It took awhile but we got it almost to the texture of flour. When I make wheat bread I usually use 1 cup of ap flour and the rest whole wheat. I add 2-3 tb of vital wheat gluten and get
a nice loaf of bread. I tried making the same recipe but used about 3-4 cups of the ground up wheat berries instead of
my normal whole wheat flour. I found that it would not rise past 3" high. There was no bloom when put in the oven.
The bread was totally baked through and delicious. I have baked bread for over 40 years and ran a bakery. From what I understand, by toasted the berries I changed some of the sugars in the wheat...not sure but it was good. I haven't tried it again but when I do, I will only add about 1 cup of this ground up flour and see how it comes out.