Thread: My Newest Find
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 11:33 AM
brenwalt

Default Use caution when using frixion pens!!!

Originally Posted by turner0106 View Post
I had been struggling trying to find a marker, pen pencil that would show up good on the fabrics. A coworker that also quilts told me about Pilot Brand Frixion Erasable pens. Said she got them at a quilt show however, Staples also carries them (I'm sure other office supplies places do also. I got the 3 pack last night and I have to say I love these things. They make a nice clear crisp line that makes it easy to hand quit. Then the lines disappear when you apply the iron. They also have a 6 pack , 8 pack, single and double (Single and double only are in black) But I have to say I love these things. I have purchased a ton of pencils, and markers and none of them work that great or the lines are real light and smudged and with hand quilting I felt I needed that nice crisp line to follow.

I tested them on several pieces of fabric last night both light and dark and gone as soon as the iron touched it.

Diane
Yes, an iron makes the marks transparent so they can't be seen but if the quilt is exposed to cold, as in a storage unit, or in transit, the marks will come back. I used the frixion pens on a huge double wedding ring quilt I made and to address the issue of cold, for any future generation person that will inherit the quilt - I wrote out the directions to again make the marks transparent by using a hot iron. There is NOTHING and I do mean NOTHING that will remove the frixion ink. Yes, it will become transparent with heat, but it is still "there" waiting to reappear when exposed to cold. I don't use frixion pens any more for this very reason.