View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 03:14 PM
ncredbird

I have a Magic Mill grinder that I have been using for 25+ years and make my own bread also. I wanted my growing family to have the best bread that we could provide but couldn't afford to purchase ready made in the quantity that I would need for a family of 6. Personally we like our bread dense and heavy but you can get a lighter loaf with the right recipe. I don't add any conditioner and if you use hard wheat for your bread you shouldn't need to add any vital wheat gluten either. I do use wheat gluten if I mix grains into bread that are low in gluten or contain none. Soft wheat is used for quick breads, cakes, muffins, etc. Hard wheat is higher in protein and gluten and is used for baking yeast bread. When the children where growing up I would use empty apple juice or pineapple juice cans to bake bread in the oven. I could get 6 loaves or more in the oven at a time that way. One day my second son came home from school complaining that one of the children refused to trade sandwiches with him at lunch because he had round bread. I told him to tell that child that he had his bread custom made to fit his bologna. To my annoyance they have all grown up to be commercial white bread consumers but when I visit I still bake their bread for them.