Old 02-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Milli

Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
I am working on a ginormous quilt, which I predict will end up being 124" square when complete. This is the largest I have ever done, breaking my old record by about 9" on width and length. I am going to quilt it on my DSM. It is made from upholstery fabrics, and will weigh a ton when it is finished. Oh, and it is for a paying customer.

I am still at the piecing stage...and I am already having nightmares about the layering and quilting!

Last night as I lay awake (at 3am, of course) I mulled the various approaches to quilting this behemoth: should I QAYG? Should I do it in sections then combine the pieces? Bite the bullet, do the whole thing as one piece and pray for increased upper body strength to infuse me?!?

I think I have decided to combine all the pieced squares (which will make a center of about 96" square), layer that on the backing with a generous allowance all around (l'm thinking about 30" on each side), quilt that, and then add the enormous border...

What say ye?

Alison-the-Unnerved

PS The quilting will be simple - mostly wavy diagonal lines, and SITD - so there won't be too much FMQ going on.
I say u go girl!