View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 12:32 PM
AUQuilter

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
My favorite local quilt shop hasn't bought any new fabric for ages. I was bold and asked her if she was planning on going out of business. She said no, but I don't think that is true. I don't think she wants to, but I think everyone is shopping online nowadays. I asked her why she didn't put her business back online and she said it cost $2,800 just for the initial cost to get her online business going. I think she should do it. I really do.
Most likely, she is "hoping" that things will work out and not have to go out of business. I too have been in a shop with old fabric- those I can get on Craigslist postings- and wonder how they stay in business. I have spoken with four owners whose shops are struggling, up for sale or went out of business. One of them sold her half to the co-owner for less than her original investment because she and her husband were always arguing about the "shop". None of the rest of them have a plan for a retirement date, a list of potential buyers or want to accept that they are operating on a month to month basis. My DGM had a saying, "If your outgo is bigger than your income, it is your upkeep that is YOUR DOWNFALL!" The few stores that will survive are owned by folks who understand "business". Businesses are supposed to be profitable, period. So if they aren't making a profit, then they will eventually go out of business.

Last edited by AUQuilter; 02-03-2013 at 12:35 PM.