View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 12:38 PM
ByThePiece

Our stores usually sell 3 in a bunch. (for $3.98) If they are the size of a tennis ball, they will be done boiling in about 45 minutes. Smaller take less time and larger take more. I leave about 1/2 inch of root and 1/2 inch of stem on top to keep them intact. When soft (prick with fork) to test for doneness. (Friends that see them cooking say "I hate beets." I get them to try a bite size piece and they become beet lovers.) When they are cool to touch, I hold them under cold running water and slide the skin off. I don't waste a LOT of time scrubbing them because I throw the water away. I eat one immediately like an apple. If the greens are healthy looking, I wash the stems and leaves and cut into bite-size pieces for a vegetable or to make Borsch. If not, I just eat them. If stems/greeens good, I might make my Ukranian Grandmother's Recipe for Borscht. When the soup was finished and delicious, she added a whiskey shot glass of vinegar to bring out the color. When the red soup was served one added one's own sour cream, turning it pink. When I make it, I make a big batch and freeze individual containers for ongoing good health.