View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Mitch's mom

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
Since we are on the topic. I want to start doing clothes, and have been looking at this serger
http://www.allbrands.com/products/26...spool-1hand-2n
Anyone have it, and how do they like it. I didn't see this model on pattern review so I was wondering about it since we are talking sergers.
It is the same under the hood as the 1034D. The difference is the extension table, which to me, makes it as big as a sewing machine. I have never had a problem with space to the left of the needle and only rarely to the right of the needle. To me it looks like they are fixing a problem that does not exist.

I have torn a 1034 down to the skeleton. It is all metal with a good motor. It isn't a fancy machine but it is a work horse. The only weakness I saw was a possible problem with cracking of a knob/gear combination in about 20 years. Save yourself 200.00 and buy the 1034D.

Another good serger to check out is the Janome Juno from Hancock Fabric's. It usually is on sale for 189.00. It has the tension knobs on the front instead of lay in tensions like the Brother 1034D. I am a big fan of this machine. I have the same machine as a badged Kenmore. I have used the dog water out of it and it keeps on sewing anything I throw at it within the realm of what I would sew with a serger. I love it for finishing the edges on fleece blankets. I think the tensions are a lot less fussy than the lay in type and definitely easier to release - just turn the knob to '0'. I have had my serger since 2006 and it sews as good today as the day I took it out of the box.