View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 AM
Muv

Originally Posted by jennb View Post
oh its ready to go if I can just get it threaded. Its oiled and turning like a champ. I'll go check out your videos later this evening. I'm hoping I can take it threaded with me tomorrow so the ladies at the bee can have a go at it if they like.

Thanks Muv!
Hello Jennb,

I've done a blog post about oiling the shuttle race. Your felt is there - if it absorbent stick some oil on it.

I have done photos today of the method for winding bobbins and will do tomorrow's blog post about that.

You might need a few days' practice before you take it to show your friends, and I suggest you cut a short piece of pipe lagging or protect the handle in some other way when you are transporting it. German machines came with beautiful porcelain handles - hardly surprising when many of their machines were made in or near Dresden - and if you crack or chip it you will be hard put to find a replacement.

I'm puzzled by it being marked Wanzer, if they were Canadian manufacturers that went out of business in 1892. This is a vibrating shuttle machine, and in 1892 Singer still had the patent for them. They took out the patent in 1886. Perhaps the name Wanzer carried on here as an import agency for German machines for sale in England, or perhaps it is a coincidence that agents in London for Muller machines had the same name. It would be interesting to find out.