Old 02-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Mizkaki

Nancy,

I am soooo glad that the Adler is stitching. You will love it. Those German machine are awesome!!

Yup, I do have spring needles in size 12 and 14.

Cathy

[QUOTE=BoJangles;5840471]
Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
Nancy,

I doubt that this machine takes the 12x1. I haven't seen this machine in person so I am using an educated guess about the needle . I believe that it should take a DBx1. The 16X1 needle is the same length as the DBx1, 16x231 and 15x1. BTW did you orient the needle so that the long groove is to the left and thread it left to right? The needles that I gave you are round shank and the orientation must be done with care. If you did orient it correctly and it still doesn't pick up the bobbin thread, try scooting the needle down a tiny bit.
If all else fails, I will be home on Friday and will be glad to find you the correct needle.

Cathy

Yipppppeeeeee! My Adler is sewing a perfect stitch! Cathy, I should never never question you! I found an old needle case in the drawers of the Adler cabinet. The needles are 287WH/1738 Nadeln. I googled that size and Schmetz came back that the 287WH/1738 is the same as a 16x231 or DBx1. So I put in one of your 16/231's and of course I had a perfect stitch - I could have gotten a perfect stitch all along, but I had to play with the orientation of the needle. This Adler has a full reverse just like a modern machine! I am still having trouble with the feed dog drop, but that will come.

Cathy, do you have a free motion needle spring you will sell me for this machine? I think, it would be fun to dabble a little in FM with the Adler.

Nancy