View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 04:48 AM
ThayerRags

Originally Posted by AUQuilter View Post
... should have called the $1 difference a markup......

When I was little, we took all of our ironing out to a lady's home. She ironed for everyone in our little town using a glass coke bottle as her starch bottle with one of those cork sprinkler tops on it.
I knew what you meant, I just wanted to point out the expenses part. Thanks for the compliments on our shop.

Your story brought back memories of the lady that ironed my Mom’s clothes for her back in the 60s in Colorado. Her married sons were loggers and had a small sawmill up the river from our place. She lived in a short 8-ft wide trailer parked next to the log home of one son. She was always so cheerful, and was the perfect image of a Grandma. Whenever we arrived for a drop-off or pick-up, she would cheerfully call out loudly to “Come on in!”. She was a large, white-haired woman and was always dressed in a full-length flower-print cotton dress, at least that’s what I recall. She did her ironing while seated, and I don’t remember seeing her ever stand or walk. She had an ironing board, chair, and little b/w TV in the front “living room” of her trailer. The rest of the visible space was taken up with folk’s laundry baskets and clothes hanging racks. She loved to chit-chat and would talk your leg off. She always had her bottle with the cork sprinkler setting nearby too. I have my Mom’s old cork sprinkler that she used with a small vinegar bottle.

My wife does most of the ironing at our shop. I help with starching once in a while, and press new hems in the jeans that I shorten. I was taught how to iron my own clothes as a teenager, and was the one that brought an iron and ironing board to the marriage of my wife & I 37 years ago. The iron went ka-put, but we still have the board.

CD in Oklahoma